-->

Saturday, February 15, 2014

12 Tags of 2014 - February

Hey, it's not even the last day of February and I've got my 'tag' finished!  This month Tim used stencils, embossing, and a faux chalkboard technique on his tag.  See his HERE.  I created an ATC inspired by his tag with mixed results.

 
I created my background using a technique similar to his.  I schmeared some Pumice Stone and Walnut Stain Distress Inks on my craft mat and gave them a spritz with water.  Using a base of white cardstock, I dragged it through the inks, dried with a heat gun, and dragged it through the leftover ink again, dried, etc. until all of the ink was used up.  I distressed the edges with scissors and then inked them up with Walnut Stain.

I don't have a heart stencil so opted for a heart border stamp instead.  Using Fired Brick and Barn Door Distress Inks I stamped over the dried cardstock.  I immediately dumped clear embossing powder over the top and then heated it.  The embossing powder didn't stick very well - kind of spotty - but it's a background so no worries.


My chalkboard sentiment failed the first time (since I didn't read directions!).  I used Versamark ink and clear embossing powder on black cardstock and heated it thoroughly.  The chalk didn't stick since it was shiny.  Oops.  I repeated it heating only until it first started melting.  My result is okay, but it's a little hard to read.  Maybe because the font is fine-lined?  Or because I used Versamark and regular embossing powder?  Regardless, it's still legible.


Next, I liked Tim's metallic border but don't have the fancy stickers.  I went with metal tape, an embossing folder and a scallop border die instead.  After I cut the border I dabbed alcohol ink over the top.





 To put it all together and finish it off, I went with an inked up book page ripped into the shape of a heart and some red and brown bakers twine.

I'm still undecided if this is a success or not, but I had never tried embossing with Distress Inks or the faux chalkboard techique before - both of which I'd wanted to try.  So in that sense, it's a success.  Thanks for stopping by and Happy (Belated) Valentines' Day!

3 comments:

Redanne said...

I would say it is a success too. I cannot tell you how many times I did the chalkboard technique.....it is not easy. Your background looks amazing and I do like the trim at the bottom. Definitely a success! Anne xx

Anonymous said...

I LOVE how your ATC came out Julie! The half melted EP seems to have worked quite well and I love your custom metal border!

Jenny Marples said...

Love this version Julie. Love that metal border. Jenny x